It’s Monday. The first Monday back after the Corona news hit home for us. We in the USA are starting to organize ourselves around a New Normal. We don’t know how, but we’re doing it.
It’s the first official homeschooling day for many families. There’s a sense of movement and chaos in the air, the kind that is to be expected with this kind of transition. And there’s also a sense of expectation for some sort of structure and/or routine to emerge.
Podcast Episode #23 is loaded with out-of-the box perspectives and resources for parents and students. Philosophical perspectives as well as practical ideas.
Question for you: If you could have it ALL YOUR WAY, what kind of home schooling experience would you like to have happen, for yourself and/or for the world?
Resources for parents and mature children, authored by us here at JBL:
Here are a few out-of-the-box resources for you to consider, both philosophically and strategically, for the education of your children and your family. To learn about our JBL philosophy, here’s a collection of articles: JBL Trifecta, a venn diagram.
- MULTIMEDIA CURRICULUM: Courage to Connect for 3rd, 4th, 5th grades, co-created with Amy Gregory of Austin, Texas and Debbie Happy Cohen of Mentone, Alabama
- EBOOK: SANCTUARY (free for now, here at JBL)
- EBOOK: 12 Practices includes journal and supplementary videos (now $1, here at JBL)
- PAPERBACK BOOK: It’s All About Kids! Every Child Deserves a Teacher of the Year by Debbie Happy Cohen but really I was essentially a journalist in this piece of writing. The teachers are the heroes and the school receives the money for this book. (Amazon is down in my area right now, so I couldn’t get the link to work.)
Deep wisdom from global, master teachers:
Each of these people truly honor the human spirit and are committed to human development. Maximizing joy and minimizing trauma. I suggest you listen to them with an open heart and mind and then come up with your own ideas.
At YouTube, search the following:
- Sadhguru schools and/or Sadhguru raising his daughter. Transparency: I am a life-long explorer of excellence in education. I am not a devotee of Sadhguru. I like how he thinks and what he has created for many school children.
- Gary Vaynerchuk + parenting
- Dr. Gabor Maté, interview with Russell Brand in response to Corona
So much love,
Debbie and Michele
Debbie Happy Cohen, author and coach, is also the founder of Joy-Based Living. Her Master’s Degree is in counseling, specializing in family systems, healing emotional trauma, and practical spirituality. Also affectionately known as Happy D! and Reverend SASSY SHORTS!, she lives on Lookout Mountain in Alabama, near Chattanooga, Tennessee. Her books include Reach Your Stars!, SANCTUARY, It’s All About Kids: Every Child Deserves a Teacher of the Year, and I Don’t Think So! You can find her blogging at http://www.joybasedliving.com.
Michele Stone is a professional artist in Tampa, Florida as well as a Certified Therapeutic Art Life Coach. She teaches classes for children and seniors and also curates art exhibits at the Carrollwood Cultural Center. Masterpieces with Michele, LLC is her company where provides painting parties for adults at their workplaces. You can watch her videos and subscribe to her youtube station here.
NOTE FROM MICHELE:
This podcast is for all you moms and dads out there freaking out about what to do with your children for the next 2-4 weeks, while we are all quarantined. We plan to do a whole series of refreshing topics and life hacks to keep the stress and frustration down to a minimum. They will cover a wide range of topics, including emotional intelligence, doodling, navigating challenging times, resistance and so much more. Please leave a comment and I might draw out a doodle for you!!
NOTE FROM DEBBIE:
This podcast is CLEAN LANGUAGE AND KID FRIENDLY. I am swearing to give up swear words during these podcasts because your young ones are at home and you need this info to be heard and shared freely!! We want you to be a great lioness during these times. We want to help you you be the calm amidst the storm. We know how much you love your kids and we know how much you care.
We love your voices!